AAA gives winter weather driving recommendations and emergency preparednessJanuary 12, 2022
ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ) – Driving in sleet and snow with dropping temperatures can make for dangerous situations on the roadways.
WDBJ7 spoke to AAA to share some helpful reminders for motorists about planning and driving tips in the winter season climate.
“Drivers must not undervalue this storm due to the fact of the recent heat weather conditions,” says AAA Mid-Atlantic Spokesperson Morgan Dean. “With the rain turning to frozen precipitation, street problems can change really promptly. A wet patch of pavement one particular minute can grow to be ice or snow-lined the next.”
About the past couple days, numerous pieces of Virginia had been seeking at temperatures in the 60′s and 70′s, but Monday early morning noticed temps down close to the freezing mark. Dean states bridges and overpasses could be the initially place drivers start to see snow and ice accumulating on the roadways.
“If you have to be out, travel with caution and give highway clearing crews a great deal of room to do their work safely and securely,” included Dean.
Winter Driving Guidelines
- Carefully clean up off your whole auto
- Speed up and brake gradually – it takes more time to slow down on snowy, icy roads.
- Push Slowly and Gently on the lookout farther down the street for opportunity difficulties
- Do not use cruise regulate and steer clear of tailgating – normal next distances of 3 to four seconds for dry pavement should be improved to 8 to 10 seconds when driving on icy, slippery surfaces.
- No matter of no matter whether the motor vehicle has front-, rear- or four-wheel push, the finest way to get back control if the front wheels skid is:
- Go on to glance in which you want to go.
- Steer in the course you want the entrance of the auto to go.
- Steer clear of slamming on the brakes. Although hitting the brakes is a usual reaction, slamming the brakes will only more upset the vehicle’s harmony and make it harder to get back command.
- Hold out for the front wheels to grip the highway once again. As before long as traction returns, the automobile will begin to steer once more.
- When the front wheels have regained their grip, steer the wheels carefully in the preferred route of vacation.
- Hold out for the streets to be plowed and dealt with before venturing out – road area affliction is the solitary most significant protection factor throughout a winter temperature occasion.
- Steer clear of snowplows and salt trucks – keep at minimum 6 car or truck lengths driving these vehicles
- Drive-in cleared lanes if probable
- If lanes have not been cleared, try out and generate in the tire tracks of other cars and trucks
- Changing lanes unnecessarily places you at higher danger of hitting a patch of ice involving lanes that may bring about you to eliminate regulate of the car
Assemble an unexpected emergency kit and retain it in your motor vehicle:
Emergency kit items to involve – deicer, shovel, ice scraper, sand, or kitty litter (for traction)
- Pack a blanket, extra gloves, and hat, hefty coat – if you’re caught on the street for an prolonged period of time you will need to remain heat, in particular if your motor vehicle is not managing
- Pack snacks, beverages, and so forth. – have them packed by the doorway to get in the early morning (so they really don’t freeze in the car or truck overnight)
- Charge your mobile phone – have a backup power resource for the automobile in circumstance you’re stuck for a while
- Make absolutely sure your windshield wipers and lights (headlights, taillights, convert indicators) are working properly – make guaranteed you can see and can be witnessed
- Continue to keep a Whole tank of gasoline
Copyright 2022 WDBJ. All rights reserved.