Wintertime driving guidelines when rain, snow and ice is on the roadwaysFebruary 23, 2022
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — Wintertime storms are approaching Kern County and are expected to impact driving ailments on the I-5 around the Grapevine and Freeway 58 more than the pass, below is what you should really know just before venturing out on the highway.
The California Highway Patrol Fort Tejon office environment is already advising motorists to be cautious even though driving above the Grapevine Tuesday night into Wednesday thanks to the risk of snow on the roadways.
Winter weather conditions can bring about perilous situations on the highway that can be terrifying for drivers and passengers, AAA has some strategies to make absolutely sure your travel is protected.
Matters to do before heading out:
- Look at the weather conditions
- Notify an individual the place you are heading and the route you are having
- Make confident you tires are effectively inflated and tread is not balding
- Look at you gasoline stages, make guaranteed the tank is at minimum 50 percent complete
- Maintain warm garments, blankets, flashlight, additional food stuff, water, and medications in your auto and extra
Things to be cautious of whilst on the road:
- Generate slower than usual to account for reduced traction when snow or ice is existing on the roadways
- Do not use cruise manage on slippery surfaces, including ice and snow
- Speed up and crack slowly and gradually so you do not lose traction, hold in mind it normally takes extended to slow down on an iced more than road
- Really do not implement far more gasoline when heading uphill as far more ability will lead to you wheels to spin
- Really don’t stop whilst driving up a hill on an icey road.
If you get trapped in the snow:
- Keep in your auto
- Make guaranteed your car is visable to other motorists
- Make sure you exhaust pipe is cleared
- Remain warm by insulating your physique with whichever is out there if you never have good chilly-temperature garments, you can use ground mats, newspapers or paper maps.
- Conserve gas , only run the engine very long adequate clear away the chill
- Do not above exert yourself even though trying to dig you motor vehicle out, if you get worn out simply call it quits and try to hold heat
All through the wintertime, storms and negative temperature leading to harmful street circumstances lead to 50 % a million crashes and around 2000 deaths on the street just about every calendar year, according to the AAA Basis for Site visitors Protection.
For a lot more information and facts on winter driving tips, simply click in this article.